The key roles that are currently held within the University Chancellors Council consist of the Sub-Committee (an elected panel of Chancellors who meet throughout the year to discuss matters that may affect or be of interest to the UCC, as well as organise upcoming meetings), and the Convenor of the University Chancellors Council. The current members who hold these key roles are detailed below.
University Chancellors Council Convenor and Sub-Committee – 2017/2018
- Professor Peter Shergold AC (Convenor), Western Sydney University
- Professor Tom Calma AO, University of Canberra
- The Hon. Dr Hendy Cowan AO, Edith Cowan University
- Mr John Dornbusch, University of Southern Queensland
- The Hon. Michael Egan AO, Macquarie University
- Mr Stephen Gerlach AM, Flinders University
- Mr James Harris, University of New England
- Dr Paul Hemming, Federation University Australia
- Mr Bill Tweddell, James Cook University
The Convenor of the University Chancellors Council
The role of Convenor of the University Chancellors Council is held by a Chancellor selected by the sub-committee. The role is held for a three year period. The Convenor’s main responsibilities include the organisation and facilitation of the twice-yearly UCC meetings and the biennial National Conference on University Governance (NCUG), as well as working with the UCC members and sub-committee to explore current issues affecting the tertiary education sector in Australia.
The current Convenor of the University Chancellors Council is Professor Peter Shergold AC, Chancellor of Western Sydney University. He is due to hold the position of Convenor until late 2018.